You need sleep. It helps keep you focused throughout the day, and allows your body to get the rest it needs. The problem is that not everyone can get the sleep required, due to stress, a bad mattress, or other reasons. The key is to sleep smarter, and with the tips below, you can get the sleep you need.
- Atmosphere. Your bedroom should be kept dark and quiet. It should be free from electronics and other work-related items. You can use a sleep mask to keep light completely out of your eyes and soothing music (such as nature sounds) to help you relax.
- Exercise. Exercising will help your body de-stress. It will also help give you energy all day long, which will help you to sleep throughout the night. Exercise for at least 30 minutes every day.
- No Stimulants. Try not to have anything with caffeine in it in the afternoon. Drink decaf coffee, soda without caffeine, or water instead. Before bed, drink chamomile tea to help you sleep.
- Sleep Only. Use your bed only for sleep. Do not use it for a place to do your work, or to think about your work. Also, if you aren’t tired, get up from your bed and do some light stretches, or take a soothing bath until you’ve relaxed enough to return to bed.
- Mattress. If you have an old mattress, it may be time to replace it with a newer one. Your lack of sleep may be due to a poor mattress. If you are waking up sore, if your mattress has indents from your body shape, or if it is lumpy or has broken springs, it’s time to replace it. Look for a mattress that has memory foam that comforts and caresses your body. Newer mattresses are made to provide better comfort and to provide a better night’s sleep.
- Don’t take daily naps if you aren’t sleeping throughout the night.
- Prepare for your morning the night before. Get your clothes, make your lunch, etc. the night before.
- Get outside for some fresh air daily. The sunlight and fresh air will help energize you throughout the day.
- Watch what you’re eating throughout the day. Keep a food log, and pay attention to foods that you’ve eaten when you have slept better. Also, try and avoid snacking after 7 p.m. Some foods can make sleeping more difficult.
Sleep is very important and helps give you energy throughout the day. It also helps with your brain’s performance. Find a good mattress at a store like Mattress Ranch and apply the tips above to help give you a better night’s sleep.